We have received several questions about how to get started using ZCM. Here's a typical question: "We are moving to ZCM and planning our first zone. We will be using a standalone db server. What needs to be built first? The first Primary server or the db server?"
Excellent questions. Your best bet here is the documentation. When you are planning, you should check out this section: System Planning, Deployment, and Best Practices Guide.
This Guide presents the items that need to be considered when designing a Novell ZENworks 11 solution and deploying it across small and large scale enterprises.
The information in this guide is organized as follows:
- Section 1.0, ZENworks Configuration Management: A Single Solution for Systems Management
- Section 2.0, Performing Pre-Design Activities
- Section 3.0, Gathering Critical Information for Design Activities
- Section 4.0, Performing Design Activities
- Section 5.0, Deploying ZENworks Configuration Management
- Section 6.0, Best Practices for Deploying ZENworks on a Citrix Server
- Section A.0, ZENworks Services
- Section B.0, The ZENworks Configuration Management Architecture
- Section C.0, ZENworks Configuration Management Tuning Parameters
- Section D.0, Reference Materials
When you get to the installation phase, you should turn to the ZENworks 11 Installation Guide.
It addresses these topics:
- Section 1.0, System Requirements
- Section 2.0, Coexistence with Other ZENworks Products
- Section 3.0, Preparation
- Section 4.0, Installing the ZENworks Server
- Section 5.0, Installing the ZENworks Adaptive Agent
- Section 6.0, Uninstalling ZENworks Software
- Section A.0, Installation Executable Arguments
- Section B.0, Troubleshooting
- Section C.0, Documentation Updates
Disclaimer: As with everything else at Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by Novell (so don't even think of calling Support if you try something and it blows up).
It was contributed by a community member and is published "as is." It seems to have worked for at least one person, and might work for you. But please be sure to test, test, test before you do anything drastic with it.