If you've built at least one component in exteNd Composer, you've probably realized how easy it is to capture a system error and send the results to a log file. Composer provides a number of methods to handle this situation with actions such as the Try/On Error or Raise Error and logging options. These actions make it very easy to capture an error condition and then send it to a log file.
However, a production situation often requires the use of multiple components. That is when a number of error processing questions arise; among them might be the following:
- How can I best manage the error processing of these related components?
- How do I propagate the error up to the calling component?
- How or where is it best to record or log the error?
- Which components completed processing before the error occurred?
- Should the execution process even continue after an error is encountered?
- Where in the process is the most time spent processing?
This AppNote presents an efficient method to address these process/error management issues. It is designed for consultants and developers familiar with the exteNd Composer development environment who want a flexible method of recording process errors and component execution paths.
This download is the sample project referenced in this AppNote.