Check out the changes being made to the Software Distribution Directories in Windermere. Provide your use case and expertise to help direct the final solution.
As Windermere is being developed, there are a few topics and engineering choices that we would like to share with the community and request their feedback and insight. We recognize that change can be difficult, but we also recognize that in order to move our products and solutions forward, change is inevitable. We also recognize that the GroupWise community contains a wealth of experience, insight and constructive advice on how best to make these changes. We request your expertise and evaluation.
The topic today is removing the Software Distribution Directory. As the administration console is being rewritten, we have the opportunity to improve this particular aspect of the overall GroupWise system. The engineers have written a description of the current use cases, the changes being implemented and the risk and tradeoffs that are inevitable. Please take a look at this document and provide your feedback, experience and suggestions. We want to make this improvement as beneficial and pain free as possible. We want you to confirm our assumptions and challenge our conclusions.
Here are the conclusions…but please read the entire article written by Dan Christensen.
Deprecate GroupWise Software Distribution Directories >
Deprecate Software Directories in Admin
Once the dependency on software distribution directories is eliminated, engineering will remove support for certain operations in the admin console. Here are the following changes:
- Continue to show existing software areas, but don’t allow the admin to create any new software areas.
- Eliminate the requirement to create a software area before installing a new system.
- Eliminate the requirement to specify a software area when creating a new post office.
- Remove the functionality to "update" the files in a software distribution directory (this can still be done manually).
- Remove the functionality to submit a system maintenance task to update the views on a post office.
- Move the functionality of "bumping" the software directory from the software area to the post office.
These are all of the changes that will be made to facilitate this overall functionality change in the product. These changes will be part of Windermere.