Novell have talked about ZENworks futures at every BrainShare and customer event for as long as I remember. During 1999 and 2000 I remember being the Product Manager for ZENworks and talking about the up-coming ZENworks for Desktops 3 release - and how that would run on NT 4 server!
The next generation of ZENworks - you may have heard this by it's internal development name of Brimstone - is much more than an incremental update.
This next release of our Configuration Management product is designed to deliver several key promises:
- unify and integrate the product components and architectures
- provide a single management console which is web based
- unify all backend services to use a single, database repository with a published schema.
- utilise a single pluggable agent on the managed client device
- allow seamless, yet powerful integration with corporate identity directories - Novell eDirectory and Microsoft Active Directory
- allow rapid deployment and installation across your enterprise
My next series of posts will drill down into this next generation of ZENworks - and will include screen shots and other information from the latest engineering milestones.
For the record - Novell does not pre-announce shipping dates for products. We are looking to release this product "during 2007" - BrainShare 2007 will have a lot of information on this major innovation.
Written at: Tel Aviv, Israel
[Edit: Reposted with updates. Original post 28 June 2006]