This article shows the procedure for migrating an iFolder 3.2 server to iFolder 3.7.
A Sunder Ramesh
iFolder is a simple and storage solution that can enable you to manage and access your files/folders from anywhere at any time. It is a feature rich product which provides sharing, backup, encrypt and store, pass phrase recovery, creating account automatically, available on Windows, SLES and Mac, etc.
iFolder has a server which maintains users, accounts, policies etc and has a client application that can provide access to our data available on server. Even if client application is not installed, the data can still be accessed via web access.
iFolder server provides access to administrator to handle user accounts, different policies, add/delete other machines that support as slave to iFolder server etc. All these features are available in iFolder server 3.7. But many of these are not available in older versions of iFolder ie on 3.2 iFolder servers.
If there are users who want to upgrade from older version of iFolder server to iFolder server version 3.7, this AppNote provides the details of achieving it.
- iFolder server version 3.2 running on OES1 SP2 32bit
- iFolder server version 3.7 running on OES2 SP1 Linux 32 or 64 bit
Pre-migration tasks to get ready for migration
- On OES1 SP2 server, there will be a xml file in the path "/var/lib/wwwrun/.local/share/simias/Simias.config". Open the file.
- Under the section "StoreProvider", look for the key "Path". Note down the value of the key "Path". In my case it is "/var/opt/novell/ifolder3". This is the path which has to be migrated to iFolder 3.7 server.
- Copy this directory "/var/opt/novell/ifolder3" to OES2 SP1 server. In my case it is copied to /root/Desktop/migrate
- Start the migration UI by any of the following 2 ways
- From command prompt run the command "miggui&" (Add '&' at the end to run it in background)
- Computer->More Applications->System->Novell Migration Tools
Now Migration window is shown in a while.
- Click "New Project" and enter the location of where to create. I am selecting default path and with name "iFolderMig.xml" and click "OK". Accept the warning "Do you want to create project at location ….................." by clicking "Yes".
- Click the "Source" (CPU image on top as shown below in red box).
- Provide source server authentication details.
The 1st password field is the password for UserName and 2nd password field is the Server's root password.
Leave default Port value 636 and default check box "Use SSL
" checked. Now click "OK".
- Now the cpu image of source turns green. If its red in color it shows that it didn't authenticate or not able to connect to source server.
- Similarly provide authentication details of the target server. Here also provide the 1st password for UserName and 2nd password for the server's root.
Note: Please leave Port to 636 and check the "Use SSL".
- Now both the source and target images are in green color. Now select the Migration type to "Consolidate". You can select "Transfer ID" if you completely remove OES1 server and change target's IP also to OES1 server.
- Now click on the Add button which is shown in red box. It will show a dialog which is in green box. From the list, select "Novell iFolder" and click "OK".
- Now you will see an entry under "Services to Migrate", but it will show the status as "Not Configured". Select the Service "Novell iFolder" and click the button "Configure". It shows a "iFolder Service" window.
- In "iFolder Service" window, under "Source Information", select the radio button "3.2 Migration" from "iFolder Service" window. Browse or enter the path of the data path we copied to our server during pre-migration task. Enter the iFolder 3.2 server's Admin Name and password. Under "Target Information", provide iFolder admin name and password.
Under partial migration details, if you want to migrate only few users, you can enter the user names in a file(*.txt extension). In the file, its mandatory to have only user name (only CN, not FDN) per each line. Another option is to select the users from LDAP
itself. In this case, I am trying to migrate all the users, and so didn't select that option at all.
- Now you can see that the status is changed to "Ready" and the screen must look as shown below.
- Click the "Start" button between source and target machine images. It will ask to save the project file and also asks for confirmation to proceed further.
- It will do a pre-check and starts migration. While migration is going on you can see the "Start" button is turned to "Stop".
- When the task is completed, at the bottom you can see the status as "Migration completed" and "Stop" button changes to "Start" again. Also if there is a failure, it will show a dialog to check the log for more details. On successful completion, the UI looks as follows:
This way we can migrate the users from iFolder 3.2 server to iFolder 3.7 server without any hassles. Also if the person operating this wants to stop operation in between, just click "Stop" button and later want to continue, just click "Start" again. It will continue from the point where it was interrupted. Not necessary to initiate the whole process again.
Similarly other services can also be migrated this way. May differ slightly only.
Disclaimer: As with everything else at Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by Novell (so don't even think of calling Support if you try something and it blows up).
It was contributed by a community member and is published "as is." It seems to have worked for at least one person, and might work for you. But please be sure to test, test, test before you do anything drastic with it.