When I wrote up a tech tip on how to read operational Attributes I learned that its good practice to specify which attibutes you are reading in the ldap_search command. When I did some tests I was rather suprised about just how big a performance difference it made searching a largish eDirectory tree. So I've changed the code on all the utils that use ldap_search to include this good practice. If you're using them it would be worth you making the change too.
Disclaimer: As with everything else at Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by Novell (so don't even think of calling Support if you try something and it blows up).
It was contributed by a community member and is published "as is." It seems to have worked for at least one person, and might work for you. But please be sure to test, test, test before you do anything drastic with it.