The Create Printers From CSV script was designed to allow administrators to be able to create iPrint printers quickly by using a CSV file instead of iManager.
Step #1 - Install and download the latest version of the Create Printers From CSV script utility.
Note: Create Printers From CSV script supports OES 2 and 11.
- Download create-printers-from-csv-1.0.tgz
- Open a Terminal window and type “su”.
- Enter root’s password.
- Extract the script from the tarball.
#tar –xzvf create-printers-from-csv-1.0.tgz
- cd to the Printer-Import folder.
- Make the script executable.
#chmod 755 Create-Printers-From-CSV-1.0.sh
Step #2 - Create a CSV file with your favorite spreadsheet application.
- Open up the Printer-Import.csv file.
- Add printers to the file as shown in the example CSV file.
The Columns must be in the following order:
Save the file as .csv (comma-delimited).
Copy the saved CSV file to the same location of the Create-Printers-From-CSV-1.0.sh script (should still be found in the Printer-Import folder on the server).
- Printer Name
- DNS or IP of Printer
- The container of where the printer should be created
- The location of the printer
- The description of the printer
Step #3 - Run the Create Printers From CSV Script utility.
- On the terminal run the Create-Printers-From-CSV-1.0.sh script to start the import process
- When the script is executed it will ask the remaining questions to make the import is successful.
Disclaimer: As with everything else at Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by Novell (so don't even think of calling Support if you try something and it blows up).
It was contributed by a community member and is published "as is." It seems to have worked for at least one person, and might work for you. But please be sure to test, test, test before you do anything drastic with it.