Installing a TCP/IP printer by using the printer policy of ZENworks Configuration Management.
This solution is tested on Windows XP, Windows 2003 server and Windows Vista device.
- Download createPrinter.bat file to a temporary location on the device.
- In ZENworks Control Center, create a bundle.
- Add the Install Directory action to upload the printer driver such as hp4100p6.inf to a directory on the managed device.
- Add the Install Files action to upload the createPrinter.bat you downloaded in Step 1 to the managed device.
- Add the Launch Windows Executable action to execute the batch file on the managed device.
In the Command Line Parameters option, specify the following arguments:
- IP of the printer
- Name of the printer object on the managed device.
- Model of the printer
- The complete path of the driver that you uploaded in Step 3
The model of the printer and driver path arguments should be enclosed in double quotes.
For example, 10.0.0.0 test "HP LaserJet 4100 PCL 6" "c:\lj4100\hp4100p6.inf"
- Assign the bundle to a user or device based on the requirement.
- Set the distribution or launch schedules based on the requirement.
- Launch the bundle on the managed device.
Disclaimer: As with everything else at Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by Novell (so don't even think of calling Support if you try something and it blows up).
It was contributed by a community member and is published "as is." It seems to have worked for at least one person, and might work for you. But please be sure to test, test, test before you do anything drastic with it.