by Chris Stone
Thanks to all of you who attended BrainShare for making it another successful event! For those of you who haven't heard, we made some big announcements that I'll recap.
- Novell will continue to advance its one Net vision with new offerings leveraging open-source technologies and industry standards. In addition, Novell has launched a Liberty Alliance-enabled identity management service with new open-source initiatives.
- Novell is shipping early access release of the Liberty identity provider for Novell eDirectory, offering single sign-on to Liberty-enabled Web sites, and outlines new SAML extensions for Novell iChain.
- Novell has launched the Novell Forge Web site (http://www.novell.com/developer), an open-source developer resource, which is a more direct path to its open-source initiatives. Take a minute to check out the Web site.
- Novell will release the source code of the Novell UDDI Server, which makes Web services registries more secure and easier to manage.
- Novell will release a GroupWise client for Linux and Macintosh desktops.
- Novell will release the Novell Resource Management solution, powered by Novell ZENworks, to deliver a complete, integrated resource management tool set that automates management of desktops, laptops, servers and handhelds. It will feature personality migration, enhanced mobile management and integrated data management capabilities.
- Novell NetWare 6.5 will combine a rock-solid platform with business services and development solutions that integrate with existing networks to increase productivity and reduce costs.
- Several open-source components will be included with NetWare 6.5 such as Web services applications, Virtual Office and business continuity capabilities which will give customers unprecedented access, security and flexibility with their network resources.
For those of you that weren't able to attend BrainShare and would like to hear the keynotes or for those of you that would like to hear them again, listen to them online at http://www.novell.com/brainshare.
Gartner Inc. has placed Novell in the "Leader" quadrant of their Desktop Software Distribution Magic Quadrant matrix for our ZENworks solution.* So with that major coup, we're bringing you even more ZEN information in this issue.
There is a lot of information packed into these pages. Stay tuned for more details regarding these exciting announcements in upcoming months! Meanwhile, enjoy this issue of our magazine."
Regards,–Chris Stone, Vice Chairman, Office of the CEO
|Bottom Line - Is the Downturn in the Economy a Blessing in Disguise?|