Tech Talk 2 by David Coughanour
The Sky's the Limit
Getting Your Skills to Pay Off With a Certification
- Tech Talk 1 Want Facebook for Business? You now have it with Novell Teaming. It lets you do a lot more than just set up an online environment where your team can share files. It's a host of other things to help teams collaborate across the globe.
- Tech Talk 2 Feeling a little behind on the Linux front? Need to get your feet wet in Linux and on the command line? Don't worry. Novell just released two new ways that will help you start-and enjoy-your journey into Linux.
- Tech Talk 3 Getting to your data is easier than you think in OpenOffice.org Base. Just set up some static or dynamic reports to pull all the data you need to make sound business decisions.
- Proof Point With an expanding data center and frequent system outages, Baldor Electric migrated to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System z to establish a more streamlined, highly available platform for its mission-critical SAP applications.
- Laura Chappell Laura's giddy with the new release of Pilot from Cace Technologies. It's what she's wanted for years to augment her use of Wireshark. It could make your life a lot easier too! Watch this video to find out.
Novell has exciting news for those of you who are administering SUSE Linux Enterprise Server or SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. Your skills and experience with these products could be preparing you for the Novell Certified Linux Administrator 10 (CLA 10) or Novell Certified Linux Desktop Administrator 10 (CLDA 10) certifications.
The CLA 10 and CLDA 10 are entry-level certifications that show you have a solid, valuable understanding of SUSE Linux Enterprise.
- CLA 10: shows you can perform day-to-day administrative tasks on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
- CLDA 10: proves you can administer SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.
Why should you obtain a Linux certification from Novell? Implementation of Linux servers and desktops continues to spread across industries and around the globe, which means an increased need for certified Linux administrators. The IT industry recognizes the Novell Linux certifications, so it opens more opportunities for you. Linux continues to grow in popularity as customers see the value of a lower cost operating system with increased security that offers greater flexibility and freedom.
Novell is recognized as an industry leader in open source innovation with award-winning products, strong support services, and a long tradition of high quality training programs and curriculum. These are all important reasons to obtain a Linux certification. Industry surveys consistently show that certified professionals earn higher salaries than their peers without certifications.
You can obtain each certification by passing a single written test. The CLA 10 is test number 050-710, and the CLDA 10 is test number 050-708. When we offered the beta versions of these tests, we found great interest in both. Before the beta test period was complete we were turning away scores of hopeful participants. The tests went through rigorous psychometric analysis during the Beta phase and both had high validation scores, which means the tests are well written and cover appropriate content for the certifications.
If you missed the beta testing period, don't worry. The tests are
now published through Pearson VUE and Prometric testing centers and are available in thousands of locations throughout the world.
IT directors are looking for network administrators who have proven Linux skills. These two, new entry-level certifications give you a chance to show your skills with and knowledge of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. If you have one or more years of experience with SUSE Linux Enterprise, visit the certification Web pages and review the objectives for the CLA 10 to see if you are ready to certify. (See Figures 1) and (See Figures 2.)
Because the demand today is so great for IT professionals with proven ability to administer SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Novell is offering a promotional price on the CLA 10 test. You can take this test now for just $75 (regularly $125).
Preparation for the CLA 10 Certification
If you need classroom training or self-study materials to prepare for the CLA 10 test, materials are available. (See Figure 3).