Tech Talk 2 by Tom Smart
Worth Your Weight in Gold
Becoming the Asset Your Investors Crave with Novell ZENworks Asset Management
- Tech Talk 1 When it comes to manual approval processes, the bottom line is that they’re simply inefficient, slow and wasteful. It’s time to automate and make your money back.
- Tech Talk 2 Too often, IT is regarded as a necessary evil needed to manage the company’s technology. But it’s high time you took your rightful place as the golden goose in your organization!
- Tech Talk 3 Piracy affects you, whether you know it or not. Find out how and what you can do to help curb the worldwide problem and bring those to justice who rob your bottom line.
- Tech Talk 4 Has your data center sprawled out like your hound dog after devouring a hefty Thanksgiving feast? With this technology and the right strategy, you could have major savings.
- Connection Magazine July full .pdf
- Proof Point Nationally ranked Georgetown University uses Novell technology to consolidate servers by 90% and cut implementation time for new applications by 50%!
- Trend Talk Trends come and go. Is the trend of buying and selling software as we’ve known it for 25 years about to end? What’s on the horizon and what’s the next evolutionary step?
What is an asset? It depends on who you’re asking. The dictionary defines an asset as “a useful or valuable quality, person or thing; an advantage or resource.” If you ask a business manager, an asset could be the employees who do the work—especially the most productive ones.
If you’re asking an investor, it could mean the stocks and bonds in a portfolio—especially the best performing ones. If you’re asking an IT administrator, the answer is likely to be the hardware and software that is owned, licensed or leased by the enterprise—especially those products that provide the best return on investment.
What is asset management? Basically, it’s ensuring that you’re getting full value from your assets. That can mean finding ways to help employees work more productively, or fine-tuning your investment portfolio to minimize risk while maximizing return
But in the IT world, asset management too often means just making a list of what you have and e-mailing it to the person asking for it—whether it’s the purchasing department, a software auditor or the poor soul who has to reconcile licenses against actual installations.
Making lists, however necessary it may be, doesn’t help you get more value or usefulness from your IT assets. Even if you have an automated inventory system, the resulting lists don’t necessarily give you the information you need to make smarter purchasing decisions, streamline lifecycle transitions, satisfy auditors and so on.
To add value, you need to add intelligence. And in most companies, that also means adding a lot of manual labor to extract meaningful information from the raw data.
Sure, not getting busted by the software cops could be considered a value, but shouldn’t asset management be easier—and more rewarding—than making and comparing lists?
Next-Generation Inventory: Novell ZENworks Configuration Management
With Novell ZENworks Configuration Management, and the fully integrated ZENworks Asset Management, you get a lot more value for your management efforts. For starters, you get next-generation discovery and inventory capabilities as a standard feature of ZENworks Configuration Management.
What that means is you have a single, fully automated system for identifying and categorizing all the IP devices on your network, distributing the ZENworks Adaptive Agent to all managed devices, and collecting details of all the hardware and software installed on managed devices.
That’s a big change from the way you’re probably used to doing asset inventory—collecting raw and incomplete data using a disjointed combination of tools, technologies and manual processes, and trying to “triangulate” to the truth of what you actually have in your environment.
For most IT departments, collecting the raw data, corroborating the results, reconciling discrepancies, discarding duplications and getting to the point where you have a reasonable approximation of the truth is a productivity-sapping burden.
ZENworks Configuration Management automates these processes, with dozens of integrated methods for discovering, normalizing, assimilating and presenting inventory information effectively. And instead of exhaustive lists of inventory data that few people can understand or use, it provides standard and custom reporting capabilities that let you give your internal customers exactly the information they need—whether its help desk support, compliance reporting, vendor negotiations or any other activity that requires accurate, detailed insight into your IT environment.
Next-generation inventory capabilities in ZENworks Configuration Management include:
Beyond the Next-Generation: ZENworks Asset Management
When you add ZENworks Asset Management Services you’re adding deep intelligence to the data collected by ZENworks Configuration Management. You’re able to give every stakeholder exactly the information they need to do their jobs, while ensuring accuracy and consistency across the enterprise. And most important, you’re better able to manage devices throughout their lifecycle to control costs, track accountability, ensure compliance and derive full value from your IT investments.
ZENworks Asset Management offers unprecedented control and automation for:
- Tracking software usage
- Managing licenses
- Managing vendor contracts
Let’s take a closer look at each of these capabilities and how ZENworks Asset Management can improve the way you do IT—and the way your company does business.