Tech Talk 4 Eric D. Huntsman
What You Need, When You Need It
Getting Novell On-demand Training When You Want it Wherever You Are
Novell provides some of the best training in the industry, but when training budgets and especially time are short, you can always rely on one of our most flexible training options. With Novell On-demand Training, what you need is always available when you need it.
What is Novell On-demand Training?
In today's IT industry, not knowing how to get the most out of existing applications, let alone not keeping current with the newest products, can mean trouble for your career. Good training keeps others from surpassing your skills, thereby improving your job security at the same time you're increasing your company's productivity. But in this tough economic climate, when budgets are tight and time is at a premium, securing the training you need can be a challenge.
Each type of training that Novell offers has its rightful place in your training arsenal. For example, Onsite training gives you practical classroom and lab instruction with a live instructor, yet requires advanced scheduling and set blocks of time, as does our versatile Online Training option.
However, On-demand Training provides a convenient and flexible delivery method that is available whenever and wherever you are available. Accessible online anytime and anywhere a high-speed broadband Internet connection is available, this is the perfect option if you don't have the time or budget for onsite or even scheduled online classroom training. It's ready and waiting when you have just a small amount of time, for example, while you're waiting for a backup to finish running before going to lunch.
Consisting of demos of technologies as well as recorded instructor lectures, On-demand Training eliminates the need for time away from work for travel and training, reducing expenses and lost productivity while still giving you the expertise you need to remain competitive.
On-demand Training Benefits
Novell has built a reputation for providing industry-leading training; now we're making training available any time, from any location. On-demand Training combines a variety of benefits to you and your business that make it a particularly attractive option, especially if both costs and time commitments are your concerns. Among others, they provide the following four important benefits:
- Value: With a flexible and affordable subscription, Novell On-demand Training delivers high-quality training content at a low cost.
- Flexibility and convenience: Because On-demand Training makes use of pre-packaged modules, demonstrations and video presentations, it's available anytime you are. Most courses are divided into individual modules that can be taken and retaken whenever you have time.
- Quality: Novell On-demand Training offers a rich, interactive and complete online learning environment that includes expert instructors and video demonstrations. Even so, we're continuing to expand and improve this training option, and your annual subscription allows you to take advantage of all improvements to our training as they're added. For example, in the future select courses will also include quizzes, simulations, hands-on labs and much more.
- Content: With more than 40 courses for new product users, administrators, technical experts and end users, Novell provides a diverse and ever-growing library that covers the spectrum of Novell solutions.
The breadth of our course content is an important part of the valuable flexibility of the On-demand Training option. Whether your job requires you to simply install and troubleshoot software or you're expected to perform as a qualified computer engineer, our On-demand courses allow you to select the training which is right for your needs.
With more than 40 courses available, the Novell On-demand Training library provides training at four different levels:
- First Look courses cover the fundamentals of installation, basic configuration and new features of a product. This training prepares you to continue on your learning path toward other Novell courses and certifications. (See Figure 1.)
- End-user courses are targeted directly at your end users, for example, everyone in your company that uses GroupWise or all those migrating to SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. These courses give them a working knowledge of those client applications and operating systems. (See Figure 2.)
- Administrator-level courses teach the basic, day-to-day operations of products that enable you to use them productively. Many of these administrator-level courses cover necessary information for Novell certifications. (See Figure 3.)
- Engineer-level courses provide intermediate to advanced training on special products and their uses. While not as advanced as Advanced Technical Training, or Novell ATT, engineer-level courses go far beyond normal day-to-day administration topics and allow you to function as if you have had some of the most advanced training available!
(See Figure 4.)
Subscribe to Connection Magazine
Some of the currently available courses include:
End-User Client Library:
- Novell GroupWise Client (End-user)
- Novell Teaming + Conferencing Client (End-user)
Data Center Library:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Fundamentals (Admin)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Administration (Admin)
Identity & Security Library:
- Novell Identity Manager (Admin)
- Novell Identity Manager Roles-Based Provisioning Module (Engineer)
End-User Computing Library:
- Deploying Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 (Engineer)
- Novell ZENworks 10 Configuration Management Advanced Administration (Admin)
These and many other courses come with a one-year subscription, and since we're constantly adding to the library of courses, your subscription covers all courses that are added during that year.
Getting a Feel for On-Demand
To see what Novell On-demand Training has to offer you, take a look at the brief demos we've posted on our site for First Look, End-user, Administrator-level and Engineer-level courses. Demonstrating how our courses are focused on your levels and your needs, they provide a feel for the kind of training waiting for you with this option.
Subscribing to On-demand Training
An annual subscription costs US$1,795 per user. This gives you an All-Access Pass which opens the entire On-demand Training library to you whenever you need it. Contact a Novell sales representative by calling 1-800-529-3400 to subscribe now, or stay tuned for other convenient subscription methods to be unveiled soon.
After you have subscribed, you'll receive an automated e-mail response from Novell with a link to your Novell Customer Center. Access your subscription by clicking that link and logging in using your Novell Login. Novell On-demand Training is waiting to give you what you need when you need it! Now choose your next step to On-demand Training by taking a minute to download a PDF, watch a video or Flash demo, or visit the On-demand Training Web site. Whatever it is, we've collected all the links here.