NetWare 5.1 and Support Pack Concurrent Install
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 14 Nov 2001
The files mentioned in this article are available here: NW61PSP3.zipOverview
The following procedures will let you install a NetWare 5.1 server with the latest Support Pack concurrently.
Both the NetWare 5.1 CD and the Support Pack contain directory paths that exceed the DOS limits. You should create directories to hold these files at the root-level on your local drive or on a NetWare volume that accepts longer paths with long filenames.
The Support Pack does not support running the Accelerated Upgrade (ACCUPG.EXE) with an overlay CD directly from a workstation. Instead you will need to complete the following:
- From a workstation start a Rconsole session with the server
- Load NWCONFIG.NLM
- Select Product Options > Install a Product Not Listed
- You will need to point to the \INSTALL directory in the overlay CD. For example if the overlay was in \NW51CD directory on SYS:, then the path would be SYS:\NW51CD\INSTALL
- Follow the onscreen prompts.
1.0 Creating a NetWare 5.1 and Support Pack Image
2.0 Installing the NetWare 5.1/Support Pack Image
To create a CD that lets you install NetWare 5.1 and the Support Pack concurrently, complete the following:
- On a local drive or a NetWare server volume, create a \NW51CD directory at the root level.
- Copy the all of the contents of the NetWare 5.1 CD to \NW51CD.
- Create the following subdirectories within the \PRODUCTS directory:- MASV
Move the following files from the STARTUP directory to the location indicated:
- MASV.NLM to PRODUCTS\MASV
- CCS.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP
- DOMXENG.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP(Copy this file only if you have the domestic NetWare 5.1.)
- EXPXENG.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP
- XIM.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP
- XMGR.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP
- XSUP.XLM to PRODUCTS\NICI\STARTUP
- On a local drive or a NetWare server volume, create a \NW51SP directory adn do one of the following:
- If you downloaded the Support Pack from the Internet, extract the Support Pack to the \NW51SP directory.
- If you have the Support Pack on CD, copy all of the contents of the CD to the \NW51SP directory.
- Rename the \NW51SP\PRODUCTS\NDS8 directory to \NW51SP\PRODUCTS\NDS8XX.
- Select the files and directories in \NW51SP and copy them to the \NW51CD.
- Delete \NISETUP.IPS, \SPACK.IPS, and \STARTUP\LONG.NAM files, and the \SP and \TOOLS directories located in \NW51CD.
The \NW51CD directory now contains an image of NetWare 5.1 and the Support Pack.
- (Optional) Create a Concurrent Install CD by copying the files and directories in \NW51CD to a CD.
The \TOOLS\NWOVL directory on CD1 contains two (2) batch files for creating the combined NetWare 5.1/Support Pack Image. The BLDOVRLY.BAT file is used for creating the combined image as indicated in section 1.1. The CDOVRLY.BAT file is used to trim the newly created NetWare 5.1/Support Pack Image down to two (2) languages, to accommodate the CDROM size restrictions.2.0 Installing the NetWare 5.1/Support Pack Image
Follow the instructions for upgrading or installing a new NetWare 5.1 server in the NetWare 5.1 documentation available on the Documentation CD that came with NetWare 5.1 or on the Internet at http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw51/docui/index.html.
During the install you might be prompted to overwrite some files such as CDINST.NLM and NLS.SCH. You should answer Yes to overwrite these files.
The files mentioned in this article are available here: NW61PSP3.zip
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com