How to update SUSE Linux Professional 9.3 with Red Carpet
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Joe Harmon
Digg This -
Posted: 10 May 2005
Note: The official method of updating SUSE Linux Professional 9.3 is through YaST Online Update (YOU). This solution is simply provided as an alternate method of updating your system.
- The Red Carpet client is not installed on SUSE Linux Professional 9.3 by default. To do this we will need to launch Yast2 and select Software | Install and Remove Software. In the search field, type in the name red-carpet and then hit Enter. Select the red-carpet package and click Accept to install the package.
- You will be prompted to install additional required packages. Click continue to finish the installation.
- Once Red Carpet is installed, you can access it by going to System | Configuration and clicking on Red Carpet. You will be prompted to login with the root password. Once you login with roots password, you will be asked whether you want to connect to this system or a remote system. Leave the option "Connect to this system" checked and click Connect.
- Choose Yes when asked to start the daemon.
- Now that Red Carpet has started, we will need to verify that we have the proper service setup. Go to Edit | Services and verify that you have https://update.novell.com/data listed as a service. It should be by default.
- To activate this service, go to File | Activate. Type in your email address and put in suse93 for the activation code.
- Once activated, click on the channels button and choose the suse93 channel and then click Close.
- Now, if you have not already updated via Yast Online Update then you should see updates listed under your Updates tab. To update, choose the Update All button and click Continue.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com