Adding RSS News feeds to Virtual Office
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Daniel Shelley
Digg This -
Posted: 21 Jul 2005
There are a lot of RSS News feeds out there that are a great source of information. Here is how you serve them up with Virtual Office 1.5+.
- Login to the advanced administration by going to /vo/admin.html and authenticating with your full ldap dn. Don't forget the comma. This administration interface is not for the faint of heart. You have full access to everything in Virtual Office from in here, so don't break anything.
- Select the Page administration link in the left column. Now you need to decide where you want your RSS news feed to show up. The "Home" page is a good candidate. Select the "Home" page and click on the Edit button.
- You will now see a list of what VO calls "gadget assignments." There is one for every gadget that shows up on your user's home page. The number of entries here depend on how you have configured VO in VO services administration. "My Bookmarks" and "Virtual Office Company Info" are a couple that will likely be there. Click on the Add button to add a new gadget.
- There is a long list of gadgets that are available to you. Scroll down and select the RSS_News gadget, and click on the Add button.
- Next, fill in the configuration options. For our example, set the display name to "OES Cool Solutions," and add a newsfeed of "http://www.novell.com/newsfeeds/rss/oes.xml". More news feeds can be added by clicking on the New value button. Next, set the number of items to show per newsfeed to your preference, and click on the Continue button.
- Make sure you click on the Save button on the next page. Once it tells you that it was successfully saved, you can click on the Exit button at the top of the page. Since you are already logged in, it simply will switch you back to the VO home page.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com