Enable the InstantMessagingID Field in eGuide with the GroupWise Messenger User ID
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Pam Robello
Digg This -
Posted: 28 Jul 2005
This document will walk you through the steps necessary to enable the Instant Message ID field so it is visible within the eGuide tool. For this document we will be setting up this ID with the user ID from GroupWise Messenger; however, these same steps would apply to the other options that are also available, such as AIM.
NOTE: GroupWise Messenger needs to be installed on the server in question. For information on installing and configuring GroupWise Instant Messenger, see the online documentation at http://www.novell.com/documentation/nm1/index.html
The steps outlined in this document were done on both a NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 3 server with GroupWise Messenger 2.0 installed and a NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 5 server with GroupWise Messenger 1.05 installed.
NOTE: eGuide is not installed by default on a NetWare 6.0 server and will need to be downloaded and installed separately. The download file for eGuide v2.1.2 can be found at http://download.novell.com. Extract this file and follow the steps in the Readme to install it on the server.
The InstantMessageID is an attribute in eDirectory that is unvalued by default, so the values will have to be added. This can be done manually or via an LDIF file.
The steps to add this information manually for ConsoleOne are:
- Right click on a User object and click on Properties
- Click on the Other tab
- With the word Attributes highlighted, click the Add button
- Scroll down through the list of Attributes and select InstantMessageID and click Ok
- Fill in the user ID for Messenger
- Click on Apply and Ok.
These steps would need to be followed for each user in the tree, no matter what their context.
To add this information via an LDIF file, follow these steps:
- Create the LDIF file as an ASCII text file. An example of this file would be:
version 1 dn: cn=probello,o=novell changetype: modify add: InstantMessagingID InstantMessagingID: probello dn: cn=fmonsen,ou=groupwise,o=novell changetype: modify add: InstantMessagingID InstantMessagingID: fmonsen
- To import this file via Console one:
- Click on the Wizards menu item
- Select NDS Import / Export
- Follow the steps to load the LDIF file and upload it to the server
- To import this file via iManager:
- Click on the Import Convert Export Wizard under the eDirectory Maintenance section
- Follow the prompts through to load the LDIF file and upload it to the server
The InstantMessageID attribute needs to be enabled from within eGuide. This is done by going to the eGuide Aministration utility. You can get to that utility by going to:
http://<serverIPaddress or DNS name>/eGuide/admin/index.html
The case is very important with this URL. If it is not entered exactly as it is here the page will not load. Once in the administration utility:
- Click on the LDAP Data Sources link.
- Click on the Edit link next to the data source to be used.
- Click on the Attributes tab
- Scroll down to the InstantMessagingID attribute
- Check in the Enable, Searchable and Editable boxes
- Click on the More Options link
- Select the option for GroupWise Instant Messenger ? see figure below
- Click on Save and close that window
- Scroll to the bottom of the Attribute page and click on Save
The eGuide client can be loaded:
http://<serverIPaddressor DNS name/eGuide
Search on any user in the tree. Once the information for the user in question appears, the Instant Message ID field will be visible and will be filled in. From this link users have the option to send an Instant Message or to add the user to their contact list.
If the GroupWise Messenger client is not loaded when either of the links is clicked, the user will be prompted to log in.
If using Mozilla or Firefox as the browser to access the links from the eGuide client, you will receive the following warning message:
When this appears, click in the check box next to Remember my choice for all links of this type and then click on the Launch Application button.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com