Using the Red Carpet Daemon with Red Carpet Express
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 8 Jun 2004
It's easy to configure the Red Carpet command line tools (rc/rcd) to use Red Carpet Express.
- If you don't already have rc/rcd installed on your computer, you must install it. Here's how:
- Start Red Carpet.
- Make sure you are subscribed to the "Red Carpet" channel. You can do that by clicking on "Unsubscribed Channels" on the left, clicking on the "Red Carpet" channel icon in the list, and clicking on the [ Subscribe ] button in the lower right hand corner of the window.
- Click on "Subscribed Channels" on the left, and click on the "Red Carpet" channel icon.
- Click on the "Install" icon in the upper right hand corner of the window.
- Select all the packages listed.
- Click the [ Install ] button in the lower right hand of the screen and then click [ Next ] in the same location.
- Start rcd. Run as root: /etc/init.d/rcd restart
- Wait for 10 seconds to allow rcd to start up.
- Configure the host for rcd. Run as root:
rc set host https://web-bos-ma-us.rc.ximian.com
- Configure rcd to use RCX. Run as root:
rc set enable-premium true
- Refresh the list of channels and packages. Run as root:
Your copy of rc/rcd should now be installed, running, and configured to use Red Carpet Express. You can use the standard rc commands to install, update, and manage your packages.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com