BrainStorm Cool Tip: Adding Menu Items
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 28 Sep 2005
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use Novell Linux Desktop. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Adding Menu Items
You can add new items, delete items, and modify exisiting items in your GNOME programs menu. Below we demonstrate how to add a menu item:
- From the top panel, select System -> Personal Settings.
- Double-click Menus from the Personal area.
- A File Manager window will appear with all the icons available in the Programs menu.
- Double-click any icon to add an item to its corresponding submenu, OR skip to step 5 to add an item directly to the main Programs menu. (For our example, we double-click the Office icon.)
- Right-click and select Create Folder, Create Launcher, or Create Document. (For our example, we select Create Folder.)
- Name the folder or document you created or create a launcher using the Create Launcher dialog. (For our example, we name our new folder "Documents.")
- Right-click the new item you created and select Properties.
- Under the Basic tab, click Select Custom Icon to change the icon associated with your item. (For our example, we change the icon to the "documents" icon.)
- Click OK.
- Edit any of the item's other properties as desired.
- Click Close.
- Exit all open windows.
- Select System -> Log Out to log out of your system.
- Log back on again.
- The changes will appear in your Programs menu.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com