Where Do I Get The Rest Of The Software For The Downloadable Version of SUSE Linux?
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Joe Harmon
Digg This -
Posted: 13 Oct 2005
- SUSE Linux 10.0 OSS
- SUSE Linux 10.0 Eval
When you download SUSE Linux Eval or SUSE Linux OSS you don't receive all of the packages because the ISO is for a single layered DVD. If you purchase the retail version of SUSE Linux then you get a dual layered DVD which contains all of the packages. In order to get the other packages for the downloadable version, you need to add a source mirror that will have those packages.
Adding a source mirror to my installation sources.
- Launch Yast2 and go to Software > Installation Source.
- Click on Add and choose the type of source you want to use. In this example I will be using an FTP source.
- Go to the desired mirror, right click on the Installation Repository link from the desired location and choose Copy Link Location.
- Split the server name and the path into two separate parts. For example if you choose the location of ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/ as your source, the server name would be ftp.gwdg.de and the path would be /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/. Then paste these in the the Server Name and Directory on Server fields respectively. Click OK to finish.
- After the source has been added you should now see the missing software. However, please note that if you are using the OSS version you will not have the close source components. If you want the closed source components then you should either install the eval version of SUSE Linux or purchase the retail version. Regardless of which build you are using (ie OSS, retail, or eval) the installation source is the same. This is even a good option to use with the retail version because it saves you from having to put in your DVD or CD's when installing software.
- If you are using the OSS version of SUSE Linux and need the closed source components, they are available as source servers at the following location: http://www.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com