BrainStorm Cool Tip: Setting up Gaim
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 25 Oct 2005
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use Novell Linux Desktop. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com
Setting Up Gaim
Gaim is a multiprotocol instant messaging client that comes installed on the Novell Linux Desktop. You can use it to view and chat within multiple instant messaging accounts. It's compatible with GroupWise Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), ICQ, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks. Although set up for each type of account differs, you can follow the basic steps below to get started with Gaim:
- From the top panel, select Programs -> Internet -> Instant Messenger.
- Click Accounts.
- Click Add.
- In the Protocol field, select the type of account you wish to set up.
- Enter your screen name and password and other information associated with your account.
- Click the arrow next to Show More Options to set your server port and other options depending on the type of account you use.
- Click Save.
- Click Close.
- In the Accounts window, click the account you just set up. The account and screen name will appear in the Login window.
- Type your password.
- Click Sign On.
Unlike the native clients for most of these instant messaging networks, Gaim will allow you to see all your contacts in multiple instant messaging accounts and chat on one simple platform. Try adding all your instant messaging accounts to Gaim.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com