Omni Mobile Best Fit for Start-rite Shoes' GroupWise Mobile Needs
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Omni Technology Solutions Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 10 Oct 2006
Start-rite Shoes, England's oldest shoe company, has a rich history that dates back to 1792. In a small workshop behind Norwich market place, James Smith, cordwainer, handcrafted made-to-measure boots with the best leather he could find. For over 200 years, Start-rite has built on this tradition and has created quality footwear that protects children's feet.
Today, Start-rite operates in a global market and has top-class factories abroad to complement the work of its Norwich-based product design and development team. Finding the "right fit", however, is still as important as ever, whether it be for a child's "wellies" (rainboots) or Start-rite's GroupWise mobile solution, Omni Mobile.
Start-rite Shoes uses Omni Mobile, a "NO Windows required" GroupWise mobile solution for GroupWise 6.x and 7.x systems, to connect their senior management and resourcing teams to GroupWise while they are traveling around the world. Start-rite Shoes chose Omni Mobile over BlackBerry, Novell GroupWise Remote and Toffa SyncWise.
"Start-rite's senior management required GroupWise mobile access on their 02 Mini XDA and Dell Axims while travelling overseas," says Adrian Colley, Network Manager at Start-rite Shoes.
"We consulted Blueloop, an Omni Authorised Partner in the UK, to recommend a GroupWise mobile solution for our existing GroupWise 6.5 system that would be easy to install, support and, preferably, would not require a Windows server."
Based on Start-rite's needs, Blueloop recommended Omni Mobile. Omni Mobile delivers an on-line and off-line GroupWise mobile solution for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Nokia S60 and Palm PDAs and PDA Smart Phones.
Start-rite purchased Omni Mobile based on its unique value proposition:
- GroupWise 6.5 support: Start-rite required a GroupWise mobile solution that would run against its existing GroupWise 6.5 system. Omni Mobile supports GroupWise 6.x and 7.x and runs against any platform (NetWare, Linux or Windows).
- NO Windows server required: With Omni Mobile, there is no Windows server between Start-rite's GroupWise system and the client on the device. Omni Mobile communicates directly with GroupWise through WebAccess. Other GroupWise mobile solutions - such as Novell GroupWise Mobile Server, NotifyLink, GWAnywhere and BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) - all require a Windows server and add complexities to your network.
- GroupWise "look and feel": Start-rite liked the fact that Omni Mobile has a GroupWise look and feel on the mobile device. Omni Mobile delivers a familiar GroupWise user experience on all supported platforms that reduces training costs.
- Simple to install, configure and manage: Omni Mobile's server module is installed directly on Start-rite's existing WebAccess system. After installing the Omni Mobile client on the PDA, the GroupWise account information is available on-line and off-line on the device.
- User Self-Admin: Start-rite's senior management has access to an Omni Mobile tab in WebAccess that allows them to manage their own mobile settings. For example, they can set their mobile default view, set mobile size restrictions, create a mobile signature, select which GroupWise cabinet folders get synchronised and how often, select a default calendar view and synchronisation interval and manage which GroupWise address books get synchronised.
"Once Omni Mobile is installed and configured, it just carries on working with no regular reboots of our system whatsoever," continues Adrian Colley. "Omni Mobile is simple to implement and make changes afterwards. The over-the-air client updates are especially useful as changes can be made in the field."
"Omni's technical support is very good. We have access to the top - not some telephone operator reading questions from a sheet. I would recommend Omni Mobile to other organisations looking for a GroupWise mobile solution that leverages their existing GroupWise system."
"Omni Mobile is easy to install, easy to set up and easy to manage."
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com