Controlling Windows Look and Feel for all Users
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Jared Jennings
Digg This -
Posted: 27 Nov 2006
The Windows OS look and feel can be controlled by ntuser.dat, located in documents and settings\default user\ for all new users authenticating to a workstation.
I have created a viewlet with details about this process. The finished product can be put into a ZENworks OS image or even an addon image. This way you can have multiple looks and feels for different departments, but only one OS image.
Modifying the Default Profile
- Launch regedit.
- Select HKLM.
- Select File.
- Load HIVE.
- Browse to ntuser.dat that you extracted.
- Specify a temporary name for the hive being loaded.
- Browse to hklm/
- Make changes.
- Unload HIVE.
- Add the modified ntuser.dat to the addon image. This will overwrite the existing ntuser.dat file.
- You are finished.
- Find image explorer at sys\public\zenworks\imaging\imgexpl.exe
- Create the required folder structure.
- Documents and Settings
- Default User
- Add the ntuser.dat file to the folder under Default User.
- Save the image.
You now can restore this simple addon image after the base OS image.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com