How to Use Novell VPN in Network Manager to Connect to Nortel Contivity Switch
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
By Chendil Kumar
Digg This -
Posted: 22 Dec 2006
Connecting to the Nortel Contivity Switch from SLED 10
You can connect to the Nortel Contivity Switch using the VPN Client integrated with the Network Manager in SLED 10.
- Linux VPN client and Network Manager should be installed in your system.
- The following RPMs should be installed in your system:
1. Profile Creation
You must create a profile before connecting to the Nortel Switch.
- Click on the Network Manager icon in the system tray and select VPN connections > Configure VPN. VPN Connections window opens.
- Click on Add to configure the profile. The Create VPN Connection dialog box opens.
- Click Forward.
- Select NovellVPNClient from the Connect to drop-down list.
- Click Forward.
- In the New Window, specify the following information:
- Connection Name: Specify a name for the connection.
- Gateway Type: Select Nortel as the gateway type.
- Authentication Type: Specify XAUTH as the authentication type.
- Gateway: Specify the host address or IP address of the Gateway.
- User Name: Specify a user name for XAUTH authentication, provided by your administrator.
- Group Name: Specify a group name for XAUTH authentication, provided by your administrator.
- Click Optional Information and select a DH group and PFS group from the drop-down lists. These configurations will be available with your administrator.
- Click Forward. The Finish Creating VPN Connection dialog Box opens.
- Click Apply to finish the configuration.
- Click the Network Manager icon in the system tray and select VPN connections.
- Click the profile you just created.
- A dialog box pops up requesting the user password and group password. Enter the Passwords and press OK.
Note: User can store the passwords in the Keyring or opt only to store the password for current session alone.
3. After Connection
A padlock icon appears on the Network Manager icon if the connection to the gateway is successful.
Note: The VPN Functionality is successfully tested with the Nortel Contivity Switch Version 4.6 and above.
Left click the Network Manager icon and select Disconnect VPN to disconnect.
- Failed Connection
If the connection fails make sure of the following:
- The DH and PFS group parameters match with the server.
- The username and password entered is correct.
- The groupname and password is correct.
- The racoon is running.
To check if racoon is running before connecting to the gateway, enter the following command:
/etc/init.d/racoon statusIf it is not running, enter the following command to start racoon:
- Network is Not Accessible
Sometimes when you ping or telnet, you might get the following error message:
Resource temporary unavailableThis message implies that the negotiation for the connection is proceeding. Try again after some time.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com