Taking a coredump on Nterprise Branch Office 1.0 Servers
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 16 May 2003
If you need to take a coredump on your Nterprise Branch Office 1.0 server you'll find that the DOS partition image size is roughly 50 meg -- way too small to hold diagnostic coredumps. Here's what you do:
- On the Branch Office Console type the following:
Set admin debug password = <enter password here> [ENTER] Set admin debug enable = yes Apply [ENTER]These three commands automatically load DBNET6.NLM and RDBHOST.NLM.
DBNET6.NLM is required to put a coredump on a remote machine.
RDBHOST is required if you will do live debugging with RDB.EXE.
- Choose one of the following methods to transfer the coredump.
1) To a server:
Have IMGHOST.NLM loaded on a remote server where you plan to send the coredump.
2) To a workstation:
Run IMGHOST.EXE on a workstation where you plan to send the coredump.
- Unlock the Branch Office Console by doing the following:
<type the supervisor password> [ENTER]
Accept the disclaimer with YES [ENTER]
The console will display "Debug mode ON"
- Now toggle to the console [ALT] [ESC] or [CTRL] [ALT] [ESC] and select the system console.
- Set auto restart after abend = 0 [ENTER] Also put this line in the AUTOEXEC.NCF so it will continue to be active at a later time if the server is bounced.
- When the server abends, select the option to take a coredump.
- Select Full w/o cache
- Select "No" on compress coredump.
- Select "NETWORK -- Dump Across network to remote host."
- Enter either the IP address of the workstation running IMGHOST.EXE or the server running IMGHOST.NLM.
Some LAN drivers can stop communicating when DBNET6.NLM is loaded. If this happens, try update to the latest LAN drivers from the hardware vendor or swap out the NIC and follow the Branch Office Documentation for LAN card changes.
For more information see TID 10077009
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com