Configuring Your iPrint Maps
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 6 Jun 2003
Using the iPrint Map Designer tool, you can quickly create a map showing printer locations. The tool lets you import floor plans that can be used to drag and drop printers to actual locations. These maps are then published on a Web server so users can install printers that are closest to their location.
- Using the iPrint Map Designer
- Adding Printers from Different Print Service Managers
- Hosting Maps on a Web Server
- Modifying Printer Driver Defaults and Printer Persistence of a Map
- Creating Printer Lists
- Cool iPrint Maps
You must have:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
- Novell iPrint Client installed on the workstation
Use the iPrint Map Designer to create location-based maps using background images of your buildings. Once the map is created, you must use the iPrint Map Designer to modify or update your maps. Changes to a map file that are made outside of the iPrint Map Designer are not supported. If you need to add links to a map, you should create a frameset file and then display the map file in one frame and display your links in a different frame.
Before creating the map, make sure that IPPSRVR.NLM is loaded.
- Copy all of your background images (maps) to SYS:\LOGIN\IPPDOCS\IMAGES\MAPS on the server, and copy any custom printer icon images to SYS:\LOGIN\IPPDOCS\IMAGES\PRINTERS. A default set of printer icons is included.
These files are autodected by iPrint Map Designer at startup. File types that can be used for background and printer icon images are .JPEG, .GIF, and .BMP.
- To start iPrint Map Designer, do one of the following:
A. Using a mapped drive, open SYS:LOGIN\IPPDOCS\MAPTOOL.HTM in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
B. Open http://server_address:port/login/ippdocs/maptool.htm where server_address is the server's IP address or DNS name of the server where the printer agent is running.
If you want to save the map to this server, you need to be authenticated to the server.
- Select a map from the Background drop-down list.
- To add a printer to the map, click the printer icon and drag the printer to the desired location on the map.
- From the Printer Icon field, select the type of printer and size.
Sizes range from 1 to 6, with 1 being the largest. Icons with a C indicate color printers.
- Next to the printer list field, click the Browse icon and enter the IP address or DNS name of the server where the print services manager is running.
- From the printer list, select the printer agent you want associated with this printer icon.
- If the printer is not listed, then you have not enabled IPP for the printer. See Configuring Novell iPrint on NetWare 6 for more information.
- The Printer URL and Mouse Over Text is automatically filled in with the printer agent information.
Printer URL: The URL created for the printer when IPP is enabled for the printer. You should not need to change the URL.
Mouse Over Text: By default, displays the printer agent's name. You can override this information by entering the text you want to display when a user moves the mouse over the Printer icon.
- (Optional) In the Printer Caption field, enter the information to display, using Enter to parse the information onto multiple lines.
- Repeat to add additional printers to your map.
- To edit a printer's information, click the desired printer's icon and then edit the printer information fields.
- To deselect a Printer icon while in the map, click anywhere in the design area.
- Click Save and save the map to SYS:LOGIN\IPPDOCS.
WARNING: If you click Refresh or exit Internet Explorer without saving the map, all changes since the last time the map was saved will be lost.
- To retrieve and modify an existing map file, click Open and browse to the directory where the map is located.
You can add printers from different print services managers to the same map. First, add the printers from one print services manager. Then click the Browse icon and select a different manager.
If you need to add or modify printers from a previously used print services manager, click a Printer icon from that manager and the Printer List will be populated with printers from that manager.
After creating your maps, you need to post them on a Web server. Copy the contents of the \IPPDOCS directory and its subdirectories to the Web server in order for your maps and iPrint to work properly. You can link to your maps from your company's internal Web page or send the URL out to your users.
By editing the HTML code of the map file you create, you can specify the default settings of printers in the map.
For example, if you use a specific printer for printing 11x14 documents in duplex mode, you can set the default paper size to legal and turn on duplexing. The following procedure shows you how to make this change:
- Using an editor, open the map file you created using the iPrint Map Designer.
- Scroll down the file until you find the printer you want to modify.
- The printer definition code will look like the following example:
<A name="ipp_printer_1" href="http://print.mycompany.com:631/login/ippdocs/ISINSTF.HTM?ippPrinterURL=ipp://print.mycompany.com/ipp/corporate-hp4050n&onInstalled=status&onNotInstalled=install"></A>
- Edit the code using either or both of the following syntaxes:
&driver-options=parameter:value; &persistence=parameter:value;The resulting code will look like this:
<A name="ipp_printer_1" href="http://print.mycompany.com:631/login/ippdocs/ISINSTF.HTM?ippPrinterURL=ipp://print.mycompany.com/ipp/corporate-hp4050n&onInstalled=status&onNotInstalled=install&driver-options=papersize:legal;duplex:yes;persistence=volatile-reboot"></A>
- Save the file.
Printer lists allow users to select printers using categories that are meaningful to them. For example, you could create a list of printers by building location, department names, eDirectory Context, etc.iPrint provides a defalut list of printers organized by print services manager. To create a custom list you will have to use an HTML editor and create links to the printer's IPP URL. This URL is displayed when you enable IPP for a printer.
To view a printer's URL, do the following:
- From Novell iManager, click iPrint Management > Manage Printer.
- Browse to and select the printer you want.
- Click Client Support > IPP Support.
The printer's URL is displayed under Accepted IPP URL.
Now that you know how to do it, it's time to dream up some iPrint maps that will knock the socks off your endusers. Check out this growing collection of suggestions for creative iPrint maps. (And send us your own...) See Ideas for iPrint Maps
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com