Upgrading to NetWare 6.5 on a Down Server
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 2 Sep 2004
Upgrades to NetWare 6.5 are usually performed on a running server from the server GUI console or a remote workstation. However, there are times when it might be necessary to perform an upgrade on a downed server. You should only attempt a down-server upgrade if an in-place or remote upgrade on a running server fails at some point after the Health Check Summary step completes. After the failure, the upgrade cannot be restarted. For complete details, see TID 10090315.
To perform a Down Server Upgrade using the NetWare 6.5 shipping CD,
- If you are performing this operation to fix a fresh install, create the directory C:\ NWUPDATE with an empty file called health.log. This is necessary as the upgrade procedure looks for this document.
- Ensure that you know or write down your SERVER ID.
- If the server is not already down, enter DOWN at the server console .
- Insert NetWare 6.5 CD 1 (Operating System) in the server's CD drive.
- Restart the server.
- Answer the install questions and select "M" for " 'M' - Manual Execution of Install.bat"
- At the DOS prompt enter "install /upgrade" then press enter. The upgrade will begin.
To perform a Down Server Upgrade using the NetWare 6.5 SP1 or higher overlay CD, follow only steps 1-3 above plus the steps listed below:
- Insert the appropriate NetWare 6.5 Overlay (NW65SP1, NW65SP2, etc.), CD 1 (Operating System) in the server's CD drive.
- Restart the server.
- When prompted, press any key to interrupt the installation process.
- Enter P to specify installation parameters. ** MAKE SURE TO USE THE BRACKETS IN THE FOLLOWING COMMAND**
- Type [inst: upgrade] **Important: Make sure to use the brackets in the command; otherwise it will perform a regular install.**
- Enter I to continue the installation.
If the down-server upgrade fails to start at this point, and you get an "ERROR: EXECUTABLE RETURNED CODE 1" or you're just returned to the menu, try burning the ISO image again on a workstation that does not have a virus scanner enabled and burn it at 4x speed.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com