Updated Server Migration and Consolidation Utilities
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 3 Nov 2004
Heads Up: Novell has just released updated versions of its server migration and consolidation utilities. Available now from the Novell Product Downloads website, these utilities are designed to help you move valuable data from previous versions of NetWare onto the latest versions of NetWare.
NetWare Migration Wizard 8.0
NetWare Migration Wizard 8.0 is a user-friendly utility from Novell that simplifies and accelerates your server migrations (hardware upgrades). The Migration Wizard 8.0 migrates the file system and NDS or eDirectory database from a NetWare 5.1, NetWare 6.0, or NetWare 6.5 source server to a faster, more reliable NetWare 6.0 or NetWare 6.5 destination server. After NDS/eDirectory is migrated, the destination server replaces and assumes the identity of the source server on the network.
What's New in Migration Wizard 8.0
In addition to supporting all of the features in version 7.1, Migration Wizard 8.0 includes some minor bug fixes and adds the ability to:
- Exclude specific file types or file names from the copy process.
- Filter the files you want to copy according to the date.
- Synchronize file and folders so that data deleted on the source server while you model a migration project is also deleted on the destination server when you perform the actual file copy.
- Automatically compare files between the source and destination after the copy process is complete to validate the integrity of the file copy
These features were previously added to the Novell Server Consolidation Utility and are now available in the Migration Wizard 8.0 as well.
NetWare Migration Wizard 6.5 Update
NetWare Migration Wizard 6.5 is used to perform migrations from a NetWare 4 source server to a NetWare 6.0 or 6.5 destination server. It also supports NetWare 5 as a destination.
Migration Wizard 6.5 has been updated with a new NUWagent.nlm. This module resolves an issue where the NDS/eDirectory Migration step would fail to complete because NUWagent timed out before Directory Services (ds.nlm) finished unloading.
Server Consolidation Utility 3.0
The Novell Server Consolidation Utility 3.0 is a file and print consolidation tool that helps you reorganize your network by copying data from any number of existing source servers to a smaller number of destination servers. Supported source servers include NetWare 4.2, 5.1 and 6.x servers. Supported destinations include NetWare 5.1 and 6.x servers, a NetWare Cluster/SAN, and a Novell Nterprise Branch Office appliance.
The utility lets you copy entire volumes or specific directories to one or more destination servers in the same eDirectory tree or in different eDirectory trees. The accompanying rights, trustees, ownership and namespace information are copied to the destination server along with the files.
You can also use the Server Consolidation Utility to copy data from Windows NT 4.0 Domains to Novell eDirectory trees. As with NetWare data, permissions and ownership information for NTFS data is transferred intact, along with the necessary users, groups and passwords.
You can also reassign several NDPS Printer Agents within the same tree to a single NDPS Print Manager.
What's New in Server Consolidation Utility 3.0
In addition to minor bug fixes, new features in version 3.0 include the following:
- A new command line option is available for scheduling the utility to run at a predetermined date and time. Adding an N after the passwords instructs the utility to skip the Error and Success Log review dialog and simply exit the application after it finishes.
- Novell ZENworks now creates an NT Roaming Profile directory the first time an NT user logs into his or her eDirectory account on NetWare. The time-consuming process of having the Server Consolidation Utility copy the NT Profile directory is no longer needed and has been removed.
Novell invites you to download these new utilities and put them to work as part of your server migration and consolidation projects.
We welcome feedback on these utilities. Please send email to the Novell Server Consolidation/Migration Product Team at email@example.com.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com