Turning off the Internet Radio
Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
Digg This -
Posted: 23 Aug 2002
Current version: Novell BorderManager 3.7
When you walk down the halls, do you hear the tell-tale sounds of people listening to the radio via the Internet? This is not only annoying, it's probably hogging a sizeable chunk of your bandwidth. We recently heard from Joe on this very issue. Joe wrote:
A lot of users are listening to the radio via Internet with Windows Media Player or directly by the web page. This is a big problem because they are using most of the bandwidth for this. How can I block this? Of course, I would like to block it on the server.
Here's one option that's worth a look. There's a new tool called FileWall in beta right now from the brilliant guys at Connectotel Ltd (Marcus Williamson and company) that could be the answer to this problem. Here's what we know about it:
FileWall is a solution to the problem of users downloading file content that is likely to be a risk to the network, or take up large amounts of bandwidth or disk space.
FileWall resolves this problem by blocking the download of files with specified file extensions. The advantages of using FileWall compared with other third-party solutions include:
- FileWall operates in conjunction with your existing Novell BorderManager software and does not require additional server or gateway hardware.
- FileWall is simple to install and configure.
- FileWall integrates with your existing administration tools.
- Once deployed, FileWall can be left running without any further intervention from the Administrator.
- The list of extensions blocked by FileWall is completely open to inspection and can be easily added to or edited by the Administrator.
Before installing, you need to have the following hardware and software components already in place.
- Novell BorderManager 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7 installed
- At least 128MB of RAM on the server
For more info read the FileWall documentation in fwdoc.zip
Check out the FileWall Beta software at http://www.connectotel.com/filewall/index.html
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com