Cool Tip: Add Notify to Startup
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Anita K. Moore
Digg This -
Posted: 28 Oct 2004
Self-terminating Notify - GroupWise Version 6.5.1
If you performed the following steps:
- Using the GroupWise menu, click on Tools and select Options.
- Double-click on Environment.
- In the General tab, checkmark Launch Notify at Startup.
- Click Ok.
- Click Close.
This will conditionally activate the Notify feature. The catcher here is that the Notify, at least where I work, will only notify you as long as the GroupWise program is OPEN in any form (restored, maximized or minimized).
The desired solution is to keep Notify activated on a continuous basis while using the computer.
The steps below will activate the GroupWise program from bootup to shutdown:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Properties.
- In the Taskbar Properties dialog box, click on the Start Menu Programs tab to select it.
- In the Customize Start Menu area, click on Add.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box, click on Browse.
- In the Browse dialog box, find the location of your GroupWise Notify. Note: if you don't know the location of your GroupWise Notify.exe file, do the following steps:
- Right click on your GroupWise Notify icon on the desktop
- In the GroupWise Notify Properties dialog box, click on the shortcut tab.
- Make a notation of the file location in the Start In box. You will use this file path to locate your Notify.exe file.
- Click Cancel to close this dialog box.
- Once the file has been located, click on Open.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box, review the Command Line. Ensure that Notify.exe is at the end of the path.
- Click Next.
- Within the Select Program Folder dialog box, in the Select Folder to Place Shortcut In area, click on the Startup folder.
- Click Next.
- In the Select a Title for the Program dialog box, in the Select a Name for the Shortcut area, make sure Notify.exe has been entered there.
- Click on Finish.
- In the Taskbar Properties dialog box, click Ok.
Additional Note: Notify will begin working automatically on your next startup. If you need it to start working immediately before your next reboot perform the following steps:
- Go to Start on the taskbar.
- Go to Programs.
- Go to Startup.
- Click on Notify.
Performing the aforementioned steps will allow you to receive GroupWise notifications regardless if GroupWise is activated or not.
|submit a tip|
Here's a chance to share your experiences using GroupWise. Just send us a tip about using (or installing, deploying, troubleshooting, etc.) GroupWise, and if it looks like something we can use, we'll send you a Novell t-shirt, post your tip, and make you famous beyond your tamest dreams. Submit your tip here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/forms/submit_a_tip.html
For more tips see:
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com