BrainStorm Cool Tip: Working with Resources
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 4 Nov 2004
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Working with Resources
In addition to scheduling people for meetings, you can schedule resources such as conference rooms, projectors, laptops, company cars, etc. The system administrator creates a Mailbox for each resource and designates an ?owner? to accept and decline appointments made for its use. When you schedule a meeting, you can simply include the resource, such as a conference room, in your recipient list.
Scheduling a Resource
- Select File | New | Appointment, or select on the toolbar.
- Enter the name of the Resource in the To: box as well as the names of the users. Or, select to open the Address Book and double-click the resources you would like to use for the meeting along with the users you would like to attend, and click OK.
- Enter the details of the appointment and click Send.
Owning a Resource
The system administrator sets up a GroupWise Mailbox for each resource and assigns a user to ?own? it, thereby accepting or declining appointments for its use. Any user can schedule and perform Busy Searches for a resource.
If you are a resource owner, you can manage the Mailbox for the resource in the same way that you manage any proxy Mailbox.
To accept or decline appointments for a resource:
- In the Main Window or Calendar, select .
To receive notification of resource requests:
- In the Main Window, select Tools | Options.
- Double-click Security; then select Notify.
- Select the resource name in the list box. If you do not see the resource listed, enter the resource name; then select Add User.
- Make sure Subscriber to notification is selected; then select OK.
Creating a Rule for Resource Requests:
You can create rules that simplify managing a resource Mailbox assigned to you. For example, you can set up one rule that accepts all requests when the resource is available and another rule that declines requests for a resource that is already scheduled for use.
- From the Main Window or Calendar, select the Proxy drop down menu, found above your folder list in most views, and select Proxy.
- Select the resource you own.
If the resource is not listed in the Proxy pop-up list, select Proxy and enter the resource name; then select OK.
- Select Tools | Rules | New.
- Enter a name for the rule.
- Select Appointment under item type. Make sure that the other item types are deselected.
- Select Appointment conflict drop-down list; then select No.
* The options include Does not matter (Yes or No), Yes, and No.
- Select Add Action | Accept.
- Enter a comment (optional); then select OK.
- Select Save | Close.
* Steps 5-8 make the rule accept appointments only when the resource is available for use.
|more BrainStorm cool tips|
If you would like more information on how to increase your productivity and utilization of GroupWise, visit BrainStorm online at http://www.brainstorminc.com. BrainStorm, Inc. is Novell's End-User Training Partner.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com