Installation Tips for eDirectory
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Sam Mason
Digg This -
Posted: 19 Jan 2005
Here are some tips from Cool Solutions reader Sam Mason on installing eDirectory 8.7.1. If you're new to installations, these are some common-sense pointers you may not have thought about.
Using the Novell Login Client
- Log in as a Local Admin. (Do not use Remote Desktop Gina or the installation will fail.)
- Copy the installation folder to d:\eDirectoryInstaller or something close to that. Do not install from the desktop folder.
- Run the installer located in InstallFolder\edir\nt and select all 3 products, Typical Installation.
- Reboot the computer when prompted to complete the Novell Login Client installation.
Creating the eDirectory Tree
- Select the default values for the installation path. Note: Keep a record of the values you use.
- Select Create a New eDirectory tree and click Next.
- Enter an eDirectory Tree Name. Note: Do not use commas when naming the tree - use the GUI, preferably.
- Enter the New Server Object Context.
- Create the AdminContext (the Object Context) then your desired Admin OU. For example: OU=ADMIN.O=RSA
- Select a username/password for your admin and click Next. Novell will validate this.
- Select the default HTTP Stack Ports and click Next.
- Uncheck Require TLS for Simple Bind with Password.
- Complete the installation default values.
- Click Finish to install eDirectory.
- Click Next and complete the installation with default values.
- Click finish to install ConsoleOne
Logging in to ConsoleOne
- Run the Novell Login under the StartMenu - Programs - Novell - Novell Login.
- Click the Advanced Tab.
- Click Tree and select the Tree you created during the eDirectory installation.
- Click Contexts and select the context you created during the eDirectory Installation (e.g., OU=Admin,O=RSA).
- Click Servers and select your MachineName from the list. It should be located just under your AdminContext, and it usually has an *-NDS* ending (e.g., ComputerName-NDS).
- Enter your eDirectory Admin User Name and Password.
- Click OK to set the Novell Login Permissions for ConsoleOne.
- Double-click the ConsoleOne link to log in.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com