Handling User Name Changes
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 16 Feb 2005
When users change their names, their home directories are affected. In GroupWise you can use the nickname feature to refer to the new name and path. Sometimes with a name change, however, the user's NDS object can be disconnected from the GroupWise object.
Here's a rename procedure that eliminates the disconnect problems. Before trying this procedure, search for any duplicates for the new name in the tree. You may also want to do a screen print to Paint or Wordpad of the user data before you begin.
- Rename the GroupWise object.
- Rename the home directory.
- Add yourself as a Trustee under NDS Rights. (Click Apply, Close, and Rename.)
- Modify Identification under the General tab, including the e-mail address if it did not change. Be sure to add a comment in the Description field of who, what, and when. (The Help Desk will love you for it, trust me.) Click Apply and yes all the questions.
- Modify the Environment values and click Apply. In the GroupWise Account, the PO, MID and FID values may not have changed yet - don't worry, they will catch up.
- Change the Gateway Alias in this order: Delete the old, Apply, Create the new, Apply.
- Create the nickname if desired.
- If used, change the Internet Alias on the Other attributes tab and click Apply.
- Confirm that the user's rights to Files and Folders and their Memberships are still intact.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com