BrainStorm Cool Tip: Using Auto-Date: Part 1
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 17 Mar 2005
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
- Part 1: Scheduling a recurring item near or on certain days of the month
- Part 2: Scheduling a recurring item based on the last day of the month
- Part 3: Scheduling a recurring item based on a day of the week
Using Auto-Date: Part 1
When you want to schedule anything that recurs, from holidays to weekly appointments, the easiest way is to use the GroupWise auto-date feature. But auto-date is more than just simply scheduling weekly appointments. During this multiple-part auto-date series, BrainStorm will help you learn to use auto-date's lesser-known features. Set a recurring reminder for every other week to check back for the next Auto-Date BrainStorm Cool Tip.
Pay Day Reminder: Scheduling a recurring item near or on certain days of the month
In your company, pay day happens twice a month, on the 5th and 20th. But when the 5th or the 20th falls on a weekend, your pay day changes to the closest weekday after the 5th or 20th. You want to remind yourself when pay day is, but just posting a reminder to recur on the 5th and 20th of each month won't cover the weekend scenario. Follow the steps below to calculate your odd pay days automatically in GroupWise, using auto-date.
- Double-click your Calendar icon to open your calendar view.
- Double-click in your Notes window to open a new posted reminder note.
- Type a subject (pay day) and any other notes for the reminder.
- Click the calendar icon in the Start Date box and click the Select recurring link OR select Actions | Auto-Date to display the Auto-Date dialog box.
- Click the Example tab.
- Enter the appropriate Start and End dates. (Be sure to change the start date because the default will be today's date.)
- Select the months for which you want the reminder to occur. (In our example, double-click on one month to select all months.)
- Click the Days of the Week button to display a list of other options and select Days of the Month from those options.
- Select Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, leaving the weekend days blank.
- Click the On button to display a list of other options and select On/After from those options.
- Select the days of the month for which the reminder occurs (5 and 20 for our example.)
- Click the Dates tab to check that the dates you want the reminder to recur are in bold.
- Click OK.
- Click the Post button.
- The reminder will now be posted in your calendar on all the selected recurring dates.
Be sure to check the Dates tab to make sure that the reminder will recur on the dates you wish. Once you post the reminder, the only way to change it is to delete all the instances (by deleting one instance and choosing to delete all instances in the dialog that displays) and re-post the reminder.
You can use the same function to schedule other recurring items that won't occur if they fall on certain days of the week, such as the 4th of July weekend. Check back in two weeks to learn how to schedule a recurring item based on the last day of the month.
more BrainStorm cool tips
If you would like more information on how to increase your productivity and utilization of GroupWise, visit BrainStorm online at http://www.brainstorminc.com. BrainStorm, Inc. is Novell's End-User Training Partner.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com