BrainStorm Cool Tip: Using Auto-Date: Part 3
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 14 Apr 2005
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Part 1: Scheduling a recurring item near or on certain days of the month
- Part 2: Scheduling a recurring item based on the last day of the month
- Part 3: Scheduling a recurring item based on a day of the week
When you want to schedule anything that recurs, from holidays to weekly appointments, the easiest way is to use the GroupWise auto-date feature. But auto-date is more than just simply scheduling weekly appointments. During this multiple-part auto-date series, BrainStorm has helped you learn to use auto-date's lesser-known features. Even after this last installment of Auto-Date tips, keep that recurring reminder set for every other week to check back for the next BrainStorm Cool Tip.
Using Auto-Date: Part 3
Staff Meeting: Scheduling a recurring item based on a day of the week
Your staff meeting is scheduled for the first Tuesday following the first Monday of each month (which isn't necessarily the first Tuesday of the month). Follow the steps below to calculate the days of your staff meetings automatically in GroupWise, using auto-date.
- Click your Calendar icon to open your calendar view.
- Double-click in your Appointments window to open a new posted appointment, OR send an appointment to all your staff by clicking the New Appt button.
- Enter a subject (Staff meeting), a place, a date, a time, duration, and any other notes for the meeting.
- Click the calendar icon in the Start Date box and click the Select Recurring link OR select Actions | Auto-Date to display the Auto-Date dialog box.
- Click the Example tab.
- Enter the appropriate Start and End dates. (Be sure to change the start date because the default will be today's date.)
- Select the months for which you want the reminder to occur. (Double-click on one month to select all months.)
- In the Monday row, select 1st.
- Click the right-pointing arrow next to Monday, OR click Mon and type 1 in the Offset days dialog box.
- The Monday label will change to Mon +1. This will set your recurring date for the first Tuesday after the first Monday of the month.
- Click the Dates tab to check that the dates for which you want the task to recur are in bold.
- Click OK.
- Click the Post or Send button.
- The appointment will now be posted in your calendar or sent to all your meeting participants' calendars on all the selected recurring dates.
Be sure to check the Dates tab to make sure that the appointment will recur on the dates you wish. Once you post the appointment, the only way to change it is to delete all the instances (by deleting one instance and choosing to delete all instances in the dialog that displays) and re-post the appointment.
more BrainStorm cool tips
If you would like more information on how to increase your productivity and utilization of GroupWise, visit BrainStorm online at http://www.brainstorminc.com. BrainStorm, Inc. is Novell's End-User Training Partner.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com