Drive Mappings Randomly Being Lost
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Adam Gracey
Digg This -
Posted: 15 Jun 2005
"A useful tip for those wrangling with Windows XP SP2."
PROBLEM: When running NetWare Client 4.91 on Windows XP SP2, network connectivity and drive mappings to random NetWare Servers are being lost at random times. You are unable to browse to \\<ServerName>\<VolumeName> even though you are able to map to it.
SOLUTION: The Microsoft DFS (Distributed File Service) was disabled.
To enable it:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedt32, and then click OK.
- In the Registry Editor window, locate the following registry key:
- In the right details pane, double-click DisableDFS.
The DFS client is turned off if the value in the Value data box is 1.
The DFS client is turned on if the value in the Value data box is 0.
- In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box that appears, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com