Cannot Install Intel536ep Modem on a Linux Desktop
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 3 Feb 2005
Cannot install intel536ep modem in SUSE 9.1
- Go to www.intel.com in search type intel 536ep.
- Scroll until you find intel-536ep-4.69-suse91-up.tgz and download the driver to a location on your computer.
- Copy driver tar ball to /dev/modems.
- Within a terminal, su to root, and then change to the /dev/modems directory.
- Then type tar -xzvf intel-536ep-4.69-suse91-up.tgz. This will create a new folder called intel-536EP-184.108.40.206-suse91-UP
- While still in super user mode within the terminal, change to /dev/modems/intel-536EP-220.127.116.11-suse91-UP. Now type bash Intel536_inst check /dev there you should see your modem.
- Open the Yast Contol Center, click on Network Devices and select Modems. Do not click configure, click the change button. Under modems click Add. There you will see the path/dev/modems. Change /dev/modems to /dev/536ep. Click on details and it will show your modem strings which will indicate that your modem is working. Click OK
- Now click Next, Check Custom Providers, New, and put in your ISP provider information. Click finish when done
- Your 536ep modem should now work.
- ** NOTE **If you update your kernel you will have to perform this procedure all over again.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com