How To Migrate a Cluster-enabled Server from NetWare 6.0 to NetWare 6.5
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By SabirAli Datey
Digg This -
Posted: 3 May 2005
What is the best procedure for migrating a cluster-enabled server from NetWare 6.0 to NetWare 6.5?Solution:
NOTE: Before following any of these steps, be sure the server's eDirectory is in a healthy state. This is covered in TID #10060600, entitled "NDS Health Check Procedures--Cross Platform." For a more up-to-date and automated procedure, see the article entitled "Using iMonitor to Perform eDirectory Health Checks."
You can use the following steps to replace cluster-enabled server hardware and migrate from NetWare 6.0 to 6.5.
- Install the server using the Pre-Migration option with a temporary tree name and with a temporary server name.
- Install the driver for accessing the SAN or network storage devices on the destination server and make sure the destination server can see the SAN devices.
- At the Source node, type DSREPAIR -RC before continuing.
- On the Source node, type the following commands at the server console prompt to remove the node from the cluster:
- Enter CLUSTER LEAVE to remove the server from the cluster.
- Enter ULDNCS on the node to unload the cluster modules.
- Delete the cluster object (the one that represents the cluster node).
- It might be a good idea to disconnect from the SAN once the node is removed from the cluster--just as a safeguard.
- Remove the LOAD LDNCS.NCF command from the AUTOEXEC.NCF file.
- Before re-adding the new server to the cluster, it might be necessary to reload Cluster Services on the other nodes and remove this server name from the CMON screen. To perform this, use the following commands:
- Cluster down
- Install Migration Wizard 8.0 on a workstation that can access both the retiring server and the new server.
- Login to both servers using the admin account, that is the source node and the destination node (the temporary server). Map drives to both servers as well.
- Perform the normal migration routine (you can get more information from http://www.novell.com/documentation/migwiz80/index.html
- Once the migration is successful, connect the destination node to the SAN.
- Reboot the server once again.
- Enter LIST DEVICES at the server console prompt to make sure the server can see the SAN devices.
- Login from the workstation to the destination node.
- Map drives to the destination node and the master node in the cluster.
- Start the NetWare Deployment Manager utility and select "Add new node to the existing cluster".
- Specify the existing cluster object name.
- Specify the tree name and context where the cluster object resides and click Next.
- Select the server and click Add to add it to the cluster, then click Next.
- The Deployment Manager utility will copy all the necessary files and then on the CMON screen you will see that the server is up and running.
- Perform any post-migration tasks that you need to.
- Using the Novell NetWare 6.5 Product CD, install any other products that the new server needs.
- Install any third-party software that you were using.
- Reboot the migrated server.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com