BrainStorm Cool Tip: Creating a Symbolic Link
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 5 Jul 2005
Creating a Symbolic Link
A symbolic link allows you to access a file or a folder in many locations without having to copy it. Use either of the methods below to create a link on your desktop to a file within your computer:
- Select the file or folder for which you want to create a symbolic link.
- Press and hold Ctrl+Shift while dragging the item to the desktop (or any location you choose).
- Release the mouse button before releasing Ctrl+Shift to avoid moving the file.
- The icon on your desktop should display the symbolic link emblem.
You may also use an alternative method:
- Right-click on the file or folder for which you want to create a symbolic link.
- Select Make Link.
- The symbolic link emblem will appear next to your file.
- Click and drag it to your desktop or any other desired location.
When you create a symbolic link using the first method, the icon caption remains the same, but when you use the second method, the words "link to" are added to the beginning of the caption.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com