eGuide Display Screens based on User Login
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By John Peacock
Digg This -
Posted: 13 Jul 2005
"I am new to eGuide, and I'm wondering if I can set up different display screens based on user login. For example, an admin who logs in may get extra info, such as last login, etc. The average user would not get this type of information. Also, members of a group could see employee home numbers or cell phone numbers. These fields would not show up otherwise."
Yes, you can do this. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on the Role Based Services (RBS) support in the eGuide Administration Utility (if you haven't already done so).
- In the eGuide Administration Utility, go to Display/Advanced and select the box that says "Filter Empty Detail Values" (so even the field's presence itself is hidden).
- Log into iManager and go to the Configure page.
- Create an eGuide Role that you can use to collect similar Tasks together. For example, I have an "Update Telephones" role for someone who only needs to be able to change phone number and extension.
- Assign the Role to users now or later.
- Still in iManager, create an eGuide Task that includes viewing (and editing, if appropriate) the extra attribute(s).
- Assign that Task to the Role created in step #2.
- If you haven't already, go to "Modify eGuide Roles" and assign the role to the users you want (or you can assign it to the container, if you have all of your admin users segregated).
Because eGuide is based on LDAP, you cannot automatically use any arbitrary NDS field value. If the field you wish to display is not already mapped into LDAP (basically if it doesn't appear in the list of LDAP Data Source attributes), you need to go into ConsoleOne, open the LDAP Group object, and create a mapping.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com