Setting up Spellchecking in OpenOffice.org
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 26 Mar 2004
Are you having trouble with spellchecking in OpenOffice? Many people are struggling with making spellchecking work automatically whenever you open a document. Here's a bit of amalgamated wisdom from the OpenOffice Forum.
Try this: Select tools\options\language settings\language and make sure that the "default language" is the one you wish to work in. If not, correct the setting.
Essential (and not in the Help file): When you are showing your language there should be a blue "tick" next to the language name. If there is not, you do not have the dictionary for that language installed.
Also, for good measure Select tools\options\language settings\writing aids and "edit" available language modules to make sure yours is there. Again it should carry the blue "tick".
Here's how you set it up.
- Open the Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.1\share\dict\ooo path and check to see if the directory contains the hyph, dict and thes files for your desired language.
- If not you can download them from http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html and put them into the above directory.
- Now open the dictionary.lst file in that directory with a text editor and check whether the hyph, dict and thes files for your desired language are listed. If not type them in using the same syntax as for the other ones. Save and exit.
- Now do the necessary changes in the tools -> options -> language settings.
- Finally exit OOo incl. Quickstarter before the changes take effect.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com