Supercharge Your Client with These Performance Tips
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 23 Jan 2002
Novell Netherlands consultant Hans-Robert Vermeulen pointed out this nifty resource. The site, http://www.ithowto.com/, has pulled the whole boatload of NetWare Client performance tips together in a single area. They have done a nice job of indexing the tips and giving detailed explanations when necessary.
Here's the list of tips from their NetWare page:
- Make sure MUP.SYS is current.
- Optimize redirectors on the PC -- important for Win2K users.
- Verify duplex settings -- important for TCP/IP connectivity.
- Disable DFS support if not used -- important for non-DFS networks.
- Tweak NetBIOS settings.
- Change drivers -- newer or older.
- Remove IE5's offline browsing.
- Optimize your PC's OS.
- Disable remote computer task scheduler -- very important.
- Novell specific: Install the Client for IPX only -- Do Not use IP and IPX.
- Novell specific: Tweak Novell's name resolution timeout.
- Novell specific: Disable unused protocol search methods.
- Novell specific: Enable/disable packet burst -- Important for Win2K users.
- Novell Specific: Only install necessary components.
- Novell specific: Install Novell Client 4.8 w/patches -- Important for Win2K users.
- Novell specific: Microsoft Client mistakes Novell server for MS server.
- Novell specific: Fix Netware provider registry settings.
- Novell specific: IP preferred despite setting IPX as preferred in the advanced settings of the Novell Client.
To get the full 411 on these and other tips, click on over to http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com