Patching a SLES8 Server
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Tay Kratzer
Digg This -
Posted: 13 Oct 2004
Update: Tay clarified a few things in response to some queries. Also, he regrets that the update servers have been kind of up and down lately -- which frustrated people trying to use this tip. Sorry! Try again.
Many customers have started to implement SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8. Their next question is "How do I patch my SLES8 installation?" Following are the steps that I took to patch my SLES 8 server.
- Go to this URL: https://support.novell.com/techcenter
- Select "Get new Account."
- Select the "Register business account" choice.
The registration process will require you to create a Login Name. A password will be e-mailed to you shortly after you finish the the registration process.
Login into the SUSE Portal, and select "Patch Support Database".
Then select "Manage List the SUSE products you've access to."
Use the Registration Code that came with your SLES8 server to activate your SLES8 server. If you do not have the Registration Code, contact your reseller or Novell. For many Novell customers who have a Novell NetWare maintenance agreement, the "Bridge" promotion will enable you to get a registration code without any additional purchase.
- Go into a terminal session on the SLES8 Server.
- Within the terminal session type the following command: yast2
- Within YaST select Software|Online Update as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 - Online Update in YaST
- In the "YaST Online Update" (YOU) screen, shown in Figure 2, select the Next button. An Authorization dialog will pop up as shown in Figure 2. In the Code field put in the Login Name referenced in step 1, in the Password field put in the password that was e-mailed to you. Then select the Login button.
NOTE: If you get the error "Authorization failed. Check the registration data" either you've entered you information incorrectly or it's possible that the on-line updates server is not up and running. Try the alternate server in the "Installation source" field.
Figure 2 - Authenticating for YaST Online Updates (YOU)
- Once you've logged in you will be presented with a screen that presents to you the available updates for your SLES8 server as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3 - Available YaST Online Updates
- Select the Accept button which will download and install the updates as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4 - Patches are retrieved and installed by YOU
- After the update process if finished, you will need to reboot the SLES8 server. To bring the server down immediately, you can use the following command in a terminal session:
shutdown -r now
- After the SLES8 server has shutdown and rebooted, then log back into the server.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com