How to use Backup Exec with Backup-to-Disk and SSO at the same time
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Eric Marcus
Digg This -
Posted: 26 Jan 2006
Backup Exec cannot do Backup-To-Disk and SSO option at the same time.
Have 2 copies of Backup Exec on the server, VOL1:BKUPEXECSSO and VOL1:BKUPEXECB2D One with the SSO license serial number and one without the SSO license serial number.
- Edit a NCF file called BESTARTSSO.NCF and have this one load Backup exec from VOL1:BACKUPEXECSSO
- Edit BESTARTB2D.NCF to load Backup Exec from VOL1:BACKUPEXECB2D.
- In VOL1:BACKUPB2D\LICENSE, make sure that the serial number for SSO is rem'ed out.
- At the server console, type BESTARTSSO.
- Make sure you can see the tape device by configuring the Shared Device in Media Server settings
- Schedule backup jobs to backup your Backup-To-Disk folders to the library and schedule the jobs to run during production hours.
- Exit out of Backup Exec.
- Type BESTARTB2D at the console, make sure that Shared Device is not selected.
- Make your Backup To Disk folders per instructions and schedule jobs to run during non production hours.
- Set up CRON JOBS in SYS:ETC\CRONTAB to start BESTARTSSO during production hours and after B2D is done (you will have to monitor it to make sure its enough time)
- And to START BESTARTB2D at non production hours after B2D is done, again monitor the time.
- Make sure CRON runs BESTOP 5 minutes before loading BESTARTB2D or BESTARTSSO.
ENVIRONMENT:NetWare 6.X. Backup Exec 9.X. Any Tape Library.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com