BrainStorm Cool Tip: Sharing the Contacts Folder
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 7 Mar 2006
BrainStorm Cool Tip: Sharing the Contacts Folder (sort of)
So, you want to share your contacts with some of your colleagues so you quit getting all those e-mails asking for phone numbers and e-mail addresses. You try to share your Contacts folder, but you see that the Contacts folder doesn't have the option to share. Never fear, there?s a workaround that will help you share your Contacts folder with your colleagues--it just takes a couple of extra steps.
Create an Address Book to Share
First, you need to create an address book that contains all the contacts you want to share. You can also share an existing address book, such as your Frequent Contacts address book, if you don't want to create a new one.
- Click your Address Book button.
- From the Address Book window, select File | New Book.
- Name your new address book.
- Click OK.
- Copy and paste the contacts you want to share from your other address books by double-clicking the address book that contains the contact, selecting Edit | Copy to, and then choosing your new address book.
Share the New Address Book
- Still in the Address Book window, right-click the address book you just created and select Sharing.
- Select Shared With.
- Choose the colleague or colleagues you want to share the address book with using the Address selector.
- Give the proper rights to each person you share the address book with.
- Click OK.
- Send or edit the sharing message that will be sent to the colleagues with whom you share your book.
Point Your Contacts Folder to the Shared Address Book
The final step in this workaround is to make sure your new shared address book shows in the Contacts folder. You?ll also want to instruct those you share it with to do the same. Just point them to the instructions below.
- Right-click the Contacts tab in your navigation bar or Contacts folder in your folder list.
- Select Properties.
- From the General tab, select the shared Address book from the drop-down list of address books.
- Click OK.
- You may need to restart GroupWise to see the new address book in your Contacts folder.
(Click the play button below to see a flash demonstration of this tip.)
You can also see more than one address book in your Contacts folder by displaying the folder using panels. To see a previous BrainStorm Cool Tip about displaying folders using panels, click here.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com