BrainStorm Cool Tip: Automatically Updating Headers
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 13 Apr 2006
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
After you learn to use OpenOffice.org's templates and styles, a new world of formatting possibilities opens, especially in the Word Processor. Here's how to take advantage of one of those possibilities: Automatic Headers.
- Select Tools --> Outline Numbering.
- Click the Numbering tab.
- In the Paragraph Style pulldown menu, select the paragraph style you have applied to the headings you want to automatically appear as headers. (If your headings are set as "Chapter Title," select "Chapter Title.")
- Click OK.
- Place your cursor in the heading area of a page with the page style that will include these headers.
- Select Insert --> Fields --> Other.
- Click the Document tab.
- In the Type box, select Chapter.
- In the Format box, select Chapter name.
- Click Insert.
- The text of your most recent heading will appear in the gray field.
- As you continue to create the document, anything assigned that heading style in the main body of your document will appear in the header field.
When you set your own Outline Numbering by following the first four steps of this tip, you have also set up your document to automaticallly create Tables of Contents, to display heading levels in the OpenOffice.org Navigator, and to create other automatic fields such as bookmarks and cross references.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com