Troubleshooting GroupWise PDA Connect
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Bart van den Donk
Digg This -
Posted: 1 Aug 2006
The present GroupWise PDA Connect (7.01 SP1) has a bug. I finally concluded that NEW objects on the GW-client (PC-side) are kept CHANGED after the first synchronization. This is incorrect. If you change a NEW "PC"-object on the PDA and synchronize, by default your changes on the PDA are undone! This is because the PDA-connect software "thinks" there are changes on both sides (PDA and PC). However the change was only made on the PDA.
The way to get arround this bug is simple: Always sync twice.
Example: Try the following:
1. Make an appointment on the PC.
3. Control the appointment on the PDA.
4. Change something on the PDA.
6. A message will state there have changes on 2 sides (this is a bug).
7. Just go on without changing the sync.
8. Control the PDA (the appaointment will be the old one from the GW-client (PC-side)).
9. Change the same thing in the appointment on the PDA.
11. There is no message stating that changes were made on 2 sides (this is normal).
12. Control your PC.
13. The changes are confirmed on the GW-client (PC-side).
If you sync twice at step 2, the problem will not occur.
This solution was tested in an environment with:
- GroupWise 7.01 SP 1 Client, with GWPDAConnect 7.01 and Active Sync 4.2 (NL)
- GroupWise 7.01 Server (no SP1)
- PDA with Pocket PC 2002/2003 or Windows Mobile 5.0
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com