BrainStorm Cool Tip: Configuring Multiple SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Workspaces
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 17 Aug 2006
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Configuring Multiple SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Workspaces
Everyone needs more space to spread out applications, and using the 3D effects in SUSE Linux Enterpirse Desktop 10 is a pretty cool way to switch between desktops. But, just in case you're not quite sure how to set it all up, here are some step-by-step directions:
Setting up the "cube":
- Click the Computer button in the lower left-hand corner of your desktop.
- Click Control Center.
- From the Look and Feel group, select XGL Desktop Effects.
- If 3D acceleration is not already enabled, click the button that says Enable 3D Acceleration.
- Click the Desktop Cube tab.
- Check the Wrap desktop around a "cube" box.
- Enter the number of sides, or number of workspaces, you want your "cube" to have.
Switching among workspaces:
There are two main ways to switch among the workspaces, or cube sides, you've set up.
- Press ALT + CTRL and click the left mouse button to drag to another cube side.
- Press ALT + CTRL and then either your right or left arrow keys.
Moving applications among workspaces:
You can move open applications among workspaces three ways.
- Grab an application window and move it to the edge of your screen. It will automatically flip to the next workspace.
- Click the application you want to move, then press SHIFT + ALT + CTRL and either the right or left arrow key.
- Right-click on the top left corner of an open application. Select Move to Another Viewport and choose the numbered side of the cube you want to move it to.
You can see a flash demonstration of this tip if you double-click the Quick Start Tour icon on your SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. Click the Index tab, then under Customize Desktop Settings, select Configure Multiple Workspaces.
You can watch for more BrainStorm Cool Tips on SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 in upcoming editions of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Cool Solutions.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com