Getting Designer to Work with Eclipse
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 25 Oct 2006
A Forum reader recently asked:
"I'm trying to install Designer 1.2 into an existing Eclipse install. I've tried using the documentation, but the error I get when trying to create a new IDM project is:
"The selected wizard could not be started - com.novell.designer.idm.projectview was unable to load class" etc.
Has anyone been able to get Designer 1.2 to work in an existing Eclipse install?"
And the reader solved the problem this way ...
After spending a lot of time working on this, I found the solution. Here's what I had to do - very simple, actually:
1. Make sure the stand-alone Designer is NOT installed on the system.
2. From the eclipse.org site, download either of the following:
- Windows: wtp-all-in-one-sdk-R-1.5.0-200606281455-win32.zip
- Linux: wtp-all-in-one-sdk-R-1.5.0-200606281455-linux-gtk.tar.gz
3. Unzip into the directory of your choosing.
4. From the Designer 1.2/features directory, unzip the 4 files, keeping the directory structure. The files are:
This creates a separate eclipse directory with a "features" and "plugins" subdirectory.
5. Copy the contents of the Designer "features" and "plugins" subdirectories into the main Eclipse "features" and "plugins" subdirectories.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com