BrainStorm Cool Tip: Reducing Sent Items Load Time
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 7 Nov 2006
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
If you send hundreds of messages every day, you might notice that GroupWise seems to load a little slower each morning. Because GroupWise takes longer to load messages located in one folder, the Sent Items folder is usually the culprit of a slow GroupWise load. To increase your GroupWise loading speed, you can simply create a series of Sent Items sub-folders and then create rules to automatically file your sent items. Here's how:
Create Sent Items Sub-Folders
1. Right-click anywhere in the folder list.
2. Select New Folder.
3. Select Personal Folder.
4. Click Next.
5. Name the new folder.
6. Move the folder directly under the sent items folder in your folder list.
7. Click Next.
8. Click More Display Settings.
9. Under Choose Item Source, uncheck Received, Draft, and Posted.
10. Uncheck any item type you do not wish to display in the folder.
11. Click OK.
12. Click Finish.
13. Create any additional folders to hold your sent items.
Write Auto-Filing Rules
1. Select Tools | Rules.
2. Click New.
3. Name the rule appropriately.
4. Under When Event Is, choose User Activated. (This will allow you to file existing items first.)
5. Check Sent.
6. Choose the conditions for the types of items you?d like the file in the folder you created.
7. Select Add Action | Move to Folder.
8. Select the folder you just created for the items.
9. Click Move.
10. Click Save and Close.
11. Create any additional rules for any other folders you created.
12. Navigate to your Sent Items folder.
13. Select all items in the folder by pressing Ctrl + A.
14. Select Tools | Rules.
15. Select the rule(s) you just created.
16. Click Run.
17. After the rule executes and automatically moves the items, select the rule(s) you just created.
18. Change the setting under When Event Is to New Item.
19. Click Save and Close.
By setting up rules to automatically file new items, you can organize your sent items once and then allow the rules to do it for you. By following this tip, you should not only feel more organized, but you should also see increased GroupWise start-up speed.
(Click the play button below to see a flash demonstration of this tip.)
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com