NDPS and iPrint Access Control Security Levels
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 1 Dec 2004
We have received several inquiries from people confused about the behavior they should expect from the different printer security levels. Here's the scoop.
When "Printer Security Level" on a Printer Agent is at the default of medium, users will not be able to install the printer unless they are added to the Access Control List (ACL). Here are some important notes to help you understand this functionality. (Note: Unless specified, the information below applies to NDPS printing and not iPrint printing.)
- Users who share the same OU as the Printer Agent are added to the ACL by default. The OU can be removed if this is not the desired configuration.
- Although users not added to the ACL will not be able to install the printer, they will be able to print to the printer. This may seem unintuitive at first glance. After all, if you can't install a printer, then how can you print to it? But here are two scenarios in which a user has no rights to install the printer, but does have rights to print to it.
- Scenario A: The user was once listed as a "User" in the ACL and installed the printer. Then the user was removed from the list. In this case, the user will be able to print to that printer.
- Scenario B: UserA is listed as a "User" in the ACL to a particular Printer Agent and UserB is not. UserA installs the printer to the workstation. UserB logs into that same workstation. UserB will be able to print to the printer.
- If security is set to "High" on the printer agent, then users must be added to the Access Control list to install or print to the printer agent.
- The "Low" security setting functions similarly to the "Medium" security level.
- Non-secure iPrint printing does not check security. Users will be able to install and print to printers regardless of what shows in the ACL.
- Secure iPrint printing follows the same rules as NDPS printing and will only be functional if SSL is used.
- Regardless of any Security setting or whether or not SSL is used for iPrint, all printers will be visible for any user.
Based on TID 10089134
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com